Friday, June 6, 2008

Found! ...

I snagged this off a website called www.foundmagazine.com. They post notes and found objects; lots of interesting and sometimes very weird & random stuff.

Someone posted this and said they received this $5 dollar bill back as change from a store. It has the words "SPAY/NEUTER ALL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" written on it. I found it ironic that they wrote it right under "In God We Trust".

I read through all the comments and was amazed at how much discussion there was on the subject of illegal immigration. These were a few of my favorites.

There are so many myths and sterotypes about undocumented immigrants that feed on racism and hate. We "Americans" are such a judgemental and self-centered country!

I'd much rather shake a hand that was calloused from swinging a hammer than one that was soft from pointing the finger.

Who can blame someone living in poverty or in a repressive country for wanting to come to the US to build a better life for him/herself and their children? Who of us would not do exactly the same thing?

I think it's even safe to say, we may ALL be opportunists in one shape or form, too. Yes??


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophia,

Every once in awhile, I check out your blog and love your perspective. Unbelievable what people will do and say. Just yesterday Lauren and I went out for dinner and we were talking about her new favorite book, To Kill A Mockingbird. We were talking how hypocritical people were in the book, condemning the Jews/Holocaust while being racist toward blacks in their community. A great, thoughtful conversation on human "blindness". In many ways, nothing has changed when it comes to immigration. Unless you're 100% Native American Indian, aren't we all immigrants? Imagination what our perspective would be if no lines were drawn to create states/countries in North America!
We've had some interesting dinner time talks and one of my favorites is..."other than your current race, what would you choose?" Overwhelmingly, it's Hispanic or some type of Latino. Thanks for keeping this issue alive on your blog.
Julie Haslinger

Sophia said...

Hi Julie! Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your insight. I hate to admit it, but I've never read "To Kill A Mockingbird" ... I think I'm going to have to give the classic a shot.