Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Collage by John Ashbery ...



“Chutes and Ladders III (for David Kermani)” (2008)

In case you don't know who John Ashbery is, his poetry has being officially declared national monuments. This month the Library of America will publish “John Ashbery: Collected Poems 1956-1987,” a 1,050-page volume encompassing roughly half of his output. He is the first living poet to be included in this series.

I find it cool that at the age of 81 he's having his first New York Art Gallery Show. Mr. Ashbery says, as if slightly surprising himself, that making collages “sort of stimulates my writing."

I love this particular piece of his. The background is the board game Chutes and Ladders, which originated in India ...

"Where with each toss of the dice, you either climbed upward toward spiritual bliss or slid down".



Cool stuff!

2 comments:

Sharon G said...

Hey are those things peeing? Yes, it took me to point it out :)

MISS YOU!!!!!

Sophia said...

Oh my gosh! Your eyesight is so much better than mine. Thanks for pointing it out though, now I like it even more LOL!