Friday, October 17, 2008

Do they look Mexican? ...




We had a great field trip today. The history of Old Town San Diego was explained in a fun and interactive way. The tour guide kept about 20 kids engaged for over 3 hours, that's quite an amazing feat.

While we were there, one of the other home schooling mom's came up to me and asked me if I was Native American Indian because to her I really look like one. I replied "No, I'm a Mexican" and the girls are 50% Mexican ... too which she replied "Well, they don't look Mexican, they are quite diluted, maybe only their eyelashes are Mexican". What the heck??? What an odd thing to say.

Well, at least she didn't ask me if I was their nanny, that happened at a park one day when the girls were small. A lady came up to me and asked me in spanish how much I was paid for taking care of the girls, now that was funny!

Anyway, here's a picture I took today at Old Town, proof positive that the girls are indeed Mexican, they even know that they were standing in front of an "ofrenda" altar to celebrate the upcoming November 1st & 2nd "Dia de los Muertos" holiday. Oh, and they ate pan dulce for breakfast today, they know all about Frida Kahlo art and they can handle eating my dangerously hot chile verde. Can you get any more Mexican than that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if my kids have Mexican eyelashes?

;) Stef