Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to school ...

The girls are back to their studies, and I'm back to teaching them. After being home-schooled for 7 years, Emily (my oldest) has moved up to middle school and is now attending a hybrid home-school academy. As a 7th grader, she attends twice a week and then does her studies at home the other 3 days. It's a pretty great program and the perfect size for easing into a more traditional school setting in preparation for attending High Tech High School in a couple of years. It's working out so much better than I expected, she really plugged in quickly and is already making friends and straight A's. Nat & Stef are still homeschooling with me, with the same goal to attend High Tech H.S. So far, we're off to a good start to the 09/10 school year. We're still doing Math, Grammar, Writing, and following The Well Trained Mind classical education module and enjoying a year of Early American History and lots of fun reading.

My favorite subject this semester, is Earth Science. In addition to some fun field trips and nature walks, we'll be watching lots of fun videos and performing our own experiments. As part of our studies we are covering geology. So as part of my research I came across this fun video to get the girls excited about understanding the periodic table elements. What a creative idea, I hope you like it and share it with your kids!


**if you are reading this via FB, you have to go to my blog at www.sophiacarolina.blogspot.com OR click here to watch it on youtube

No comments: