Thursday, September 17, 2009

Forget the Stereotypes ...



Coming up quick, on the first weekend of October, Tijuana will celebrate the arts, culture and music of it's artists at an event called Entijuanarte at the Centro Cultural. One of the goals of the event is to demonstrate another face of the city of Tijuana and to be a meeting point for the cultural and artistic diversity of the Baja California and the Southern California region.

By the way, I love the tagline they are using in their advertising;

Discover a new world of art and culture at your doorstep, but be warned; You will never think of this city in the same way.

"Arte es Poder" translates to "Art is Power". I think art has to power to give sight to the blind. What I mean by this, is I took a tour of the videos on youtube and more than 90% paint a picture that TJ is all about beer, hookers, drugs, violence and quite an ugly place. I don't agree with that picture. Sure it's dirty, yes it's a poor country, yes there's some violence, but name a place in the U.S. that doesn't have violence too. I think we need to be looking to see the beauty that is just beneath the surface. It's starting to boil up to the top now and I'm so happy to see events like Entijuanarte, that expose us to the emerging cultural revolution happening in Tijuana, Mexico. I'm hoping that Jon and I can make it down with the girls that weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

And for the topping this little piece o' mexican pie, I have a wonderful little interview with Tanya Aguiniga. She's a Los Angeles based furniture designer/maker raised in Tijuana, Mexico. Tanya’s work is informed by border experiences: the interconnectedness of societies, the beauty in struggle and the celebration of culture.



I say "You Go Chica!"

** If you can't see the video from within Facebook, you can watch it on my blog at www.sophiacarolina.blogspot.com or you can just click here **

if you need a link to get more info;
Si hables espaƱol, click here
OR if you need an English synopsis click here to check it out **

No comments: