Friday, October 30, 2009

Dia De Los Muertos ...



The Hall family has been making lots of cool stuff for this upcoming weekend's festivities. I've been really fascinated with this holiday ever since moving to San Diego. I suppose the closeness to the border and the cultural immersion I've experienced since moving here has inspired me to understand more about my heritage and the "Day of The Dead" celebration.

In case you don't know what the holiday is about, I'll give you a quick little history lesson;

The observance of El Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead) dates from Pre-Columbian times. It is believed by many that this is the time when those who have passed away are allowed to return to earth to visit with their families and friends. This occasion, on November 1 and 2, ceremonially honors those who have died.

El Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in Mexico by decorating shop windows, cleaning and decorating the cemetery, creating special flower wreaths, making small and large toys and figurines featuring the calaveras (skulls and skeletons). Zempasuchitl, a type of marigold, is the traditional flower of the occasion and altars are often covered with the bright orange petals. It's no wonder that the baker, cook, florist and artist are essential to the celebration of Los Dias De Los Muertos.

The objects and symbols used in the rememberance of loved ones during the Day of the Dead are usually hand made and sold in local markets by individual vendors. The items are typically made of natural products, which makes so much sense to me.

And, if you know me well, you've probably seen me in a skull shirt more than once. I've always loved them. So it's probably no surprise that this holiday is fast becoming one of my favorites!

I also wanted to share this great quote by Bobbi Salinas-Norman that sums up my feelings on the holiday;

"What is the difference between Halloween and the Day of the Dead? Halloween is based on a medieval European concept of death, and is populated by demons, witches (usually women) and other images of terror -- all of them negative. The Day of the Dead, in contrast, is distinctly different. It is a uniquely Indo-Hispanic custom that demonstrates strong sense of love and respect for one’s ancestors; celebrates the continuance of life, family relationships, community solidarity and even finds humor after death -- all positive concepts!"


And in related news, I've been in a crafty mood getting stuff made for my new little boutique shop that I'll be sharing with my friends. It's located inside Citizen Video in South Park. I hope you can stop by this Sunday, anytime between 4 - 9 pm. We'll be serving Sangria and Pan Dulce .... and having too much fun with a Day of The Dead Theme. Hope you can stop on by!

No comments: