Sunday, August 5, 2007

Making Salsa ...



Here's a picture of my daughter while helping me make salsa today. We listened to great "ranchero" Mexican music as we chopped away.

Making great salsa isn't that hard to do. I'm in a good mood today, so I'll share my "top secret" recipe with you =)

Start with (6) fresh red tomatoes, (1) small red onion (actually looks purple, but they are called red), (1) lime, (3) serano chiles (use jalapeƱo if you can't find serano), (3) yellow chiles, (1) tsp of salt, (1) bunch of fresh cilantro. Wash everything and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the stems off the chiles and the bottom inch of the stems off the cilantro, use all the leaves. Chop everything and put together in one bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over your chopped ingredients, add the salt (if you want more than 1 tsp., taste it first, and season how you like it), give it a good stir and chill for at least 30 minutes to merge all the flavors. Serve with chips and a pitcher of margaritas ... and slow down and enjoy your family, friends and the rest of the summer!

ps. My husband insists I warn you that this may be too hot for most people ... make the margaritas first, so that you have something to cool off your mouth =)

1 comment:

Jamie Mewes said...

I'll be making this for sure! I saw on T.V. the other day just what you were telling me...about touching someone elses hair if you have spicey on your fingers. Guess that is why you should always cook with family and friends in your kitchen!