Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Balance

School started for us two days ago. This will be my sixth year teaching, I think it will be the most challenging and hopefully the most rewarding. I'm following a wonderful classical home school education outlined in the book The Well Trained Mind, this year we cycle through Ancient Civilizations again, my absolute favorite time period to cover. The girls are in 1st, 4th & 5th grade this year. I have not posted recently, I've spent the last few weeks trying to get organized and work out a schedule of sorts, I think I'm ready.

In the past few weeks, I've been contemplating how chaotic my life has become. Lately, I've been so busy juggling my clothing design business, running a household, teaching, attending church events, keeping in touch with friends and all the other things I cram my life with that it's getting tougher to juggle it all.

I want to balance ... I don't want to juggle. Not sure what to do about it, but while thinking and digging around the web, I came across this fascinating little vintage animation from 1990, it won the Oscar for Best Animated Short that year.

I'm definitely not a deep thinker, but this little movie has got me thinking. I suppose it's a commentary on our society. My thought is, if they stayed perfectly balanced forever and didn't move, that would be boring. It didn't get interesting until they started shaking things up. Hopefully you'll enjoy or be bothered by it, let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. :)

Jon Hall said...

The video was fascinating. Seemed to say as much about the cooperative need of balance (people having to work together, selflessly), as it does about balance itself, and our tendencies toward a selfish desire for "more."

Seeing your life up-close, I see you're challenge (our challenge, really) for balance. Often times, I think it's also the struggle with/against complexity versus simplicity. Listening to Jon Talbert speak the last 2 days made me think more about this, especially his thoughts on "what to say 'no' to." Life isn't so much a matter of decided what to do, it's deciding what *not* to do. Choices are certainly something we're not short on.

In the video, they had one another, but then sought out something more. They got it. That then triggered this bigger challenge of balance, selfishness, and ultimately their own demise.

To keep things in perspective though, I also value living in a part of the world where you and I even *have* choices. Many people in this world don't (and you and I have seen some of that, up close). With choices though, comes responsibility and a need for wisdom. I'm praying for both.

Anonymous said...

My take on the short subject was the following.

Even when you think you're balanced, you really aren't.

Sharon G said...

First of all "HOW" did you find this?? Oh, yeah I was just looking at youtube....and you happend upon this I LOVE IT!

Hey HAPPY BIRTHDAY (a day late). I really loved this video you just "happend" to find. I guess he (or she) ended up balanced in a "jacked up" sorta way. Thanks for finding it and sharing it with us!