Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Grass Ain't Always Greener ...


About 2 years ago we sold our house and became renters. It was about that time that all the experts started saying "there's no bubble", "get into real estate now" and "just flip that house". I admit, there were plenty of times that I felt a tinge of regret for selling, but it really was for the best.

Ever since we sold, it seemed to me that everywhere I went, all people could talk about was their equity; about what part of the house they were remodeling next, asking for referrals for contractors, who to use for landscaping, deciding which car to purchase and where they were going for their next vacation. I really would dread group gatherings since I no longer owned a piece of the OC real estate pie, nobody likes to listen to you talk about how much your last rent increase was or what kind of pet the landlord will let you keep.

Fast forward to fall '07 ... I find it sad and yes I admit, a bit amusing that the pendulum is swinging, way over to the other side. Now it's not considered polite to talk about real estate anymore. Right up there on the list with colostomy bags, brain cancer and the lastest Herpes outbreak.

And to add insult to injury, A&E ran an entire marathon of "Flip This House" this past weekend? Was that just a bad joke? Or are they just clueless?

All that to say, I do feel sorry for any friends that bought high and have an adjustable loan. And for those of you that paid a normal, reasonable price for your home, longer than 3 years ago and have a great interest rate and a manageable payment, I'm happy for you ... no, really I am.

1 comment:

Jon Hall said...

Letting go of the house was one of the hardest choices we ever had to make. Looking back, I still know it was the right thing for us to do.

I've also seen though, how exiting the Southern California housing market afforded us opportunities that we might not otherwise have had. It changed my perspective on a great many things, including improving my view on what really matters.