Friday, September 14, 2007

Money vs. Wealth



I started my day by reading the newspaper. They carried a story, from the assoc. press about Jack Whittaker, the winner of the highest paid PowerBall jackpot in the U.S. The article entitled "Powerball Win: Fantasy or Nightmare?" ends with a quote by Jack ...

"I'm only going to be remembered as the lunatic who won the lottery," he said. "I'm not proud of that. I wanted to be remembered as someone who helped a lot of people."

As I reflected on this today, I thought a lot about my dad. He was a preacher, his churches were mainly in the middle of California; the farming areas and were mostly comprised of migrant workers. He barely made any money, as a matter of fact our family was often paid with crates of fruit or vegetables.

Since he had such a flexible "work" schedule, he often spent the week fishing & gardening; and I spent most of my childhood with him outdoors. We ate fish often, since it was readily available because my father was such an amazing fisherman. He taught me how to tie my first hook and do my own line by the time I was 4, he even taught me how to clean them too. That's me in the picture, I'm 5 and was so proud of all the fish I caught by myself. I really should teach my girls to fish, I really miss it.

So after all this thinking and mulling over the difference between being rich vs. being wealthy, I pulled out my favorite gift from my husband Jon, a poem he wrote for me the year my father passed away, hopefully he won't mind me sharing it with you.


The Wealthiest Man I Ever Knew
- by Jon Hall, Christmas 1995

The wealthiest man I ever knew wasn’t a man of many possessions. He didn’t have a fleet of cars, a big house, or attend expensive therapy sessions.

He was a man of simplicity, of gentleness … of servant hood and of thoughtfulness – with a fair share of caring, he had a character like no other … strong, but not overbearing. Of worldly things, he had quite few … that which he had tended to be recycled, used, and not very new.

But of earthly things, this man was beyond rich. The love of his family, and of his God, carried him through life without a hitch. Oh, he had problems, setbacks, and failing health like the rest of us. But the love of one daughter, she is the essence of love – represented in its simplest.

This daughters’ love, showed more than caring. It showed more than admiration, something far more daring. Her love was the essence of unconditional love. Something more than from herself, something more like from above.

This man showed his daughter this love, every chance he would … He showed it through the lessons, he showed it when they were fishing, he showed it whenever he could.

And from his example, she learned something quite valuable. She learned to love in a way that was gentle, but unstoppable. It showed in those hours, many a long hour, that she sat at his bedside, frustrated, but not sour.

For she knew that this man, tired, in pain, and near the end, was going to a place unlike any other … he was going to a place where his body would more than mend.

What made this man so wealthy, was more than money could buy. It’s worth more than anything … more than the world, bigger than the sky. It’s worth more than all the possessions of the world, more than all this earth could offer. His wealth was so staggering, greater than the world coffer.

For this man’s wealth was based on a love. The love of his God, the love of his daughter. An unconditional love, more than this world could eve offer.

And in the day, that she sees her father again, she’ll give him a hug, she’ll share a tear, but she’ll know where he’s been. In the place he is now, in a place we can only imagine, this wealthy man’s there now, in a place called heaven.


Just one last thing to leave you with, it's a little snippet from my favorite Nooma video ...




No comments: